Liverpool

Cheers.

So this past Saturday was a day trip to Liverpool, about an hour from Lancaster. We arrived early in the morning so the first thing to do was eat some breakfast. After eating, we walked to the shore. The wind coming off the water was very strong and very cold, I actually thought I was in danger of being blown over the railing into the estuary. Despite this, we took some much needed titanic inspired pictures by the water. Also close to the shore was a giant ferris wheel which we nicknamed “the Liverpool Eye.” We took a ride on it; the views from the top were amzing. We could see the entire city, the huge cathedral, and a great view of the water. It was a bit scary though at some points as we felt the heavy winds shaking our little cubicle while we were so high up.

After the ride, we set off to find the old cathedral. We took and enormously circuitous route in which we found Chinatown (something I was not expecting to find in Liverpool), but eventually made it to St. James Cathedral. Before going inside, we followed the signs to the St. James Gardens. The gradens ended up being a graveyard behind the cathedral, but it was still pretty interesting to see. In the gardens is the only working natural spring in the city of Liverpool. After circling around the outside, we went inside the cathedral. It had a beautiful interior with huge stained glass windows. We stayed inside and admired the cathedral for a long time before leaving to find lunch.

Lunch was mostly uneventful, except we learned the English think a pickle is some sort of sauce that looks like a chutney, rather than a pickled cucumber. After lunch we walked to the City Centre and the Cavern Quarter. The City Centre is where all the good shopping is (I bought myself a shirt and earrings for my birthday) and the Cavern Quarter commemorates the Beatles. We went to the Cavern Club, and underground pub where the Beatles used to play often. The club has a lot of decorations for the Beatles and other famous musicians. They had a band dressed like the Beatles and playing all Beatles songs on stage. The place was packed and it was only 4pm. The Cavern Club was definitely the coolest place in we saw in Liverpool in my opinion. After spending a while listening to music and enjoying the atmosphere, we left the Cavern Quarter and returned to the docks to catch the bus ride home. Liverpool was definitely a lot of fun and a much bigger city than I had been expecting. We all agreed we want to go back sometime.

Cheers

About edavison13

My name is Erin Davison and I am a math major and soccer player at the College of Wooster. I have traveled a lot with my family in the past, and always knew I wanted to study abroad in college. I am very excited to live in Lancaster, England for 5 months!