Chester, Cheshire

Cheers.

Lancaster University Study Abroad Program as well as the University Travel Association sponsor many day trips on Saturdays and Sundays throughout the term for students. Sunday we went to the historic city of Chester. When we got off the bus in Chester, is was very cold, so we bought some ear muffs and went inside a cafe for some tea (when in England, one might as well drink the tea). Next, we walked around the town in search of “the wall”. The City Walls are 2,000 years old, dating all the way back to the Roman occupation. People can walk these walls which encompass the city. Before finding these wall, we stumbled upon some pretty cool things. First, we walked underneath the Eastgate clock. This is a beautiful clock built to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee in 1987. Next, we found the Grosvenor Park which had rows of trees lining the sidewalks and lush green grass. Finally, we made it to the River Dee. We walked along the river and saw many crew teams out practicing.

After walking along the river, we made it to one of the entrances to the wall. There are different “gates” at which to pick up the wall walk. We entered at Ship Gate and began our walking tour. We passed an old Roman Ampitheatre, a castle, and the oldest racecourse in the country. We also passed some netball courts, a game similar to basketball but the net is like a basket so the ball cannot fall through and the movement of players is restricted to certain parts of the court.

After walking a good portion of the walls, it was time for lunch. We went to the Old Queens Head for a traditional English meal. Fish and chips with buttered bread and a pot of tea. Also, I ordered my first jacket potato with bacon and cheese. I’m sure it was a heart attack on a plate, but it was delicious.

We worked this meal off with a bit off shopping. My purchase was a bag with the British flag on it. ( I have since learned the British flag is called the Union Jack). I absolutely love the bag. There were many other items I had my eye on, but I did not want to spend money quite yet. Fashion is much different in England and I think I need to get used to it and decide what I really like before I go spending money on all the styles. The trip to Chester was so much fun, and I cannot wait until there is another sponsored day trip I can make.

Cheers.

About edavison13

My name is Erin Davison and I am a math major and soccer player at the College of Wooster. I have traveled a lot with my family in the past, and always knew I wanted to study abroad in college. I am very excited to live in Lancaster, England for 5 months!

One Response to Chester, Cheshire

1. It seems like you enjoyed your trip to Chester. Next time your in Cheshire, visit Alderley Edge. There are some fantastic National Trust country walks which you would enjoy and many great places to eat.