Arrival!

Cheers.

Upon arrival in Manchester airport, I went through passport control where the woman gave me a huge interogation, as if I’m really threatening looking as a person. After that, it was an easy walk to the bus and about an hour trip to Lancaster. The landscape was beautiful, even though the countryside was covered with sheep. After getting moved in, it was time to try and sleep off some jet lag.

Today was the first day of events. All international student activities such as a tour of the campus, issuing of library cards and student union cards, registering for internet, and lots of lectures about the school and how to get involved on campus. There were also some social events for the international students to meet each other. There are certainly a lot of differences to get used to. Something I overlooked before arriving was using pounds. The paper bills are easy, but there are so many different coins for pounds and pence that I really label mayself as a foreigner when I am trying to firgure out which coins to pay with- everyone has been really nice about it so far though. Although, they may be thinking “stupid American” and just be acting nice. Also, it rains all day and gets dark around 4pm here. That will definitely be something to get used to.

The best thing that has happened so far was walking into a bar and an English Premiere League game being played on a huge screen the size of the wall- Liverpool vs. Manchester City. I don’t think there are many places in America where this would happen. All the British guys in the place were impressed I knew things about soccer and the League as well. Tomorrow, we go on a tour of the city of Lancaster so I’m sure there will be many great things to see and learn there.

Cheers.

About edavison13

My name is Erin Davison and I am a math major and soccer player at the College of Wooster. I have traveled a lot with my family in the past, and always knew I wanted to study abroad in college. I am very excited to live in Lancaster, England for 5 months!

One Response to Arrival!

1. Geordie says:

Erin, glad you made it over in one piece. I love hearing about your discoveries of the differences in culture. I’m sure there will be many more. Good luck with the hair, didn’t know that it was an issue.
    Looking forward to your next post.