Preparations

Hello Everyone!

In three days I am crossing the pond to spend my spring semester of Junior year at the University of Lancaster in England. I am a math major and soccer player at the College of Wooster, and can’t wait to share all my stories of life abroad with you!

As my time to departure is dwindling, all my preparations are coming together. I have all my paperwork organized to go through customs and immigration at the Manchester airport; My bedding is waiting for me at my dorm already; I ordered my International Student I.D. card and my Student Union card; I emailed the soccer (futbol) team at Lancaster about playing with them; I have decided which gym package I will buy; I have studied the layout of campus- where I will go to eat; and finally, we searched through my mom’s drawer of foreign money and tracked down 50 pence.

Today I went to Target for supplies. Frizz-ease hair spray was a must since I won’t be taking my hair straightener along with me (the electricity in England is different and the adapter would blow mine out). I haven’t yet decided if I want to use my spending money on a straightener when I arrive, or just live with the bad hair days. I also bought some travel sized shampoo and conditioner- I am waiting until I am in Lancaster to buy full sized soaps, shampoo, and conditioner so as not to take up space in my luggage. Speaking of luggage, packing is all I have left to do, and what a task it will be. I am only allowed to bring two suitcases, so I must be careful about what I bring. I will leave that last preparation for Sunday.

Finally, I already learned one difference in language. Thanks to Geordie, I now know that a “jacket potato” is just a baked potato. The jacket is the potato skin!

My next post will be coming to you from Lancaster, England!

About edavison13

My name is Erin Davison and I am a math major and soccer player at the College of Wooster. I have traveled a lot with my family in the past, and always knew I wanted to study abroad in college. I am very excited to live in Lancaster, England for 5 months!